Monday, July 10, 2006

I Always Wanted to be an Artist!

Yeah, this is how it begins. Above is from a vintage ad in the back of a comic book courtesy of Scott Shaw!'s amazing site titled Oddball Comics. The funny thing about the ad is how nicely dressed artists are!

Y'know, they really should post one of those "results not typical" warnings on this. And I don't think I know a professional cartoonist that wears a tie and a white shirt. Oh, maybe they might wear such a thing IRONICALLY -- mocking "The Man" -- but who needs to dress up? I mean, the cool thing about cartooning is that you're working at home and it's all "come as you are!" Or, come as you wake up. since, for me, the office is steps from where I snooze.

Here, before your beady eyes, is the awful truth:

Need I point out that the only reason that the cat comes over for pats is because he's a sweet old rescued cat from the junk heaps of Red Hook, and he likes -- how to put it? -- funk!!! And it don't get much better when a cartoonist gets washed up to take the subway into the city:

Above is an artist's conception of what I haul in my bag. There's always junk in there. I always have too many pens and too many things to write on. No, I don't need to carry a tire gauge, but I always have it. I don't know why.

So, there you have the truth: no sweater vest, no tie, no pressed Oxford cloth shirt! And if you ever see me dressed up, I'm still cool, man! I'm not part of the establishment! I'm doing it ironically, darn it! Really!

No comments: