Friday, November 13, 2009

THE PRISONER Motion Comic


Above: Kirby's mothballed version, pencilled in 1976. Charles Hatfield has more about it here.

AMC has retooled the great 1960s Patrick McGoohan series THE PRISONER. The new program will begin its run of a half dozen episodes this Sunday night.

The AMC PRISONER site has all of the episodes of the old show online, ready to be perused all over again. The enigmatic show has a lot of fans and I can't see how something new would add to it.

Anyway, let's talk comics.


There is something called a PRISONER stop-motion comic that AMC has put up on its Web site. While I don't see any credits. I've been told that the art is by Mitch Breitweiser. It's good looking and interesting. Well, actually, I couldn't tell what was going on in the 11 panels they put up. I kept waiting for Number Six to appear and he didn't. Eleven panels isn't a whole lot for a story. It's not even a teaser, really. I missed being able to read it at my own pace. The downloading of the moving/twinkling/panning effects tended to be a bit poky. Your results may vary.

Rich Johnston, at Bleeding Cool, shows us the new comic and reminds us that there was an unpublished PRISONER comic by Jack Kirby.

Regardless, it's nice to see a comic done for this. I am seeing comics in conjunction with other media, like the TV series HEROES and a Turner Classic Movie project.

Bit hat tip to my pal Rod McKie for this.

No comments: